A colourful carrot bouquet seems like the perfect way to celebrate the beauty of fall and local produce – both, very special and close to my heart. Choosing local and seasonal has so many advantages, it’s tough to know where to start, so here’s a shortlist.
- It supports our local economy and our hardworking farmer
- It cuts back on carbon emissions from flying produce from overseas.
- It is exponentially more nutritious than overseas produce. Less nutrients are lost in the travel and there’s less need to freeze it.
- It tastes better! The shorter travel time means produce can be picked riper, allowing the full flavours to come through.
- Going organic local take the positive effects on the environment, economy, health and flavour to a whole new level! It is well worth the investment for a cleaner more nutrient dense product that leaves a much smaller environmental footprint.
Most grocery stores now carry local organic produce or you can further support local farms directly by joining a FoodShare in your community. It’s a small change that gives back in a big way!
For more information on the benefits of eating local and organic, check out these awesome resources.