Pumpkin seeds are one of my all-time favourite seeds, as their health benefits are seemly endless, plus, they’re oh so yummy. Just think, one of these little guys gives life to an entire pumpkin – we’re talking a 300lb gourd at a county fair…. and Cinderella’s carriage, for goodness sake! Even Walt Disney knew these golden kernels hold a whole lota magic.
So let me give you the lowdown on just what sort of power these enchanting seeds and their oil possess. They’re jam packed with vitamins, minerals, fibre, protein and antioxidants.
• Vitamin E: Helps muscle and skin repair and preventing harmful free radicals
• Vitamin B-complex: Helps many bodily functions including metabolism
• Zinc: A natural protector against osteoporosis, helps immunity, cell growth, mood, taste and smell, eye and skin health, insulin regulation, and male sexual function
• Magnesium: Essential for pumping of the heart, bone formation, relaxation of blood vessels, and proper bowel function
• Hormone Blocking Action: Helping prevent hormone-related cancers, such as ovarian and prostate cancer
• Amino acid Tryptophan and Glutamate: Helps benefit anti-stress, reduces anxiety and depression, and contributes to better quality sleep
• Mono-unsaturated fatty acids like Oleic Acid: Helps lower bad LDL cholesterol and increase good HDL cholesterol in the blood, helping prevent heart disease and strokes.
• Alkaline-forming: Helps to reduce inflammation, which is a major cause of so many health disorders – especially in western culture where our food is highly inflammatory
They also hold good levels of essential minerals like copper, manganese, potassium, calcium, iron and selenium, helping with a wide range of functions, including resistance to infectious agents.
And heck, if you ever get a tapeworm or parasite, these are even used in treatment in many cultures.
So throw them on your yogurt, salad, soup, cereal, whatever! Their nutty flavour works and even enhances just about anything.